Porcini is one of my favourite edible mushrooms. Although there are many ways to prepare them for eating, I think I’m onto something with this homemade porcini eggs benedict. Here we have a different take on the classic breakfast dish with wild mushrooms and the introduction of potato latke instead of a scone or English muffin as the base.
This recipe makes four heaped Eggs Benedict latke – use 5 eggs for one serving or 7 eggs for 2 servings as listed below.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 1 fresh, cleaned porcini mushroom
- Half a red onion
- Homemade guacamole or sliced avocado
- 7 eggs
- A dash of lemon juice
- Sprigs of rocket for garnish
- Spirit vinegar
- Salt & pepper to taste
- A pinch of herbs
NOW FOR THE MAGIC
- Grate the potatoes and then drain the moisture out of the grated mixture. Add an egg to the mix as well as an onion along with some salt, pepper and herbs. Now separate into four “cakes”. Gently fry these on both sides until they are fairly crispy on the outside and cooked on the inside.
- Hollandaise sauce: Separate 2 eggs first, putting the yolks into a dish with a splash of lemon juice, it needs to be whisked until it becomes a little thicker and rises to twice the amount. Now melt about a quarter cup of butter. Then a shallow dish is put over a pot with about a third of simmering water, not too hot as the eggs will scramble. Slowly pour in the butter bit by bit while whisking until it’s to your liking and becomes thicker. Take off the heat and add salt to taste.
- Porcini time – remove the sponge or polypore under the cap. I find this adds an additional “scrambled egg” flavour which will be redundant in this dish as it is egg-based already. Slice into pieces that are about an inch thick and then gently saute them all with butter. Put on one side once lightly fried and golden.
- Poached eggs: Fill a pot with 3/4 water and bring to the boil. Once it’s bubbling add a generous splash of vinegar. The water will now cool down a bit but give it 2 minutes to start boiling again. Crack open 4 eggs and drop the insides into the pot. They will start coagulating immediately and I’d say give them up to 2-4 minutes depending how much “liquid gold” you prefer.
- Serve two latke on each plate and add a dollop of guacamole or sliced avocado on top of them. Then add one poached egg on top of each, then the sliced porcini and then a sprig of rocket on top. Finally, drizzle the Hollandaise sauce over and enjoy a unique Eggs Benny.